Bishop’s University was founded as Bishop’s College in 1843, under the sponsorship of the Right Reverend G.J. Mountain, the Anglican Bishop of Quebec, with the assistance of a group of clergy and laymen from the Eastern Townships.
In 1853, the University received a Royal Charter granting it the right to confer degrees. Bishop’s remained under the aegis of the Church of England until 1947, when the Corporation of the University was reconstituted as a nondenominational body. Since this time, Bishop’s University has welcomed students from all backgrounds, cultures and creeds.